NO Hot water
There is nothing worse than a cold shower, especially when you were expecting a hot one! Your hot water unit is usually to blame, but there could be a few causes of why it isn’t working as it should be.
- Check recent use - It may be that someone has just had a very long shower and you have exceeded the capacity of your hot water system.
- Pilot light - Sometimes a gust of wind will cause the pilot light's to go out. Usually, the lighting instructions are found on the hot water unit that will tell you how to light it.
- Thermocouple sensor - The thermocouple sensor may have worn out. This can be easily replaced by a plumber.
- Jammed washer - Sometimes you can lose hot water because a washer is jammed in the tap. Follow our steps above for how to change a tap washer.
- Split cylinder - When your hot water cylinder splits, it may be leaking water. The unit may struggle to keep temperature with the amount of water it may be losing.
- Tempering valve - Sometimes loss of hot water can be caused by a valve called the tempering valve. They sometimes don't mix the water properly and you only get cold water.
It is best to call in the professionals for anything to do with hot water units, for your own safety.
Now you know what the problem is, you can call your plumber.